Are you writing for spiders or for humans?
Many of us has the habit of documenting things… be it our daily diary, emotional outburst or penning down experiences. Since the dotcom industry is booming, people have started monetizing their hobby of writing in the form of blogs and articles. But in this race of making money somewhere the end reader is suffering. Despite of having strict algorithmic changes made by search engines, SEO experts have managed to get their sub-standard content ranked on the top. Thanks to black hat or grey hat techniques!
As a reader or a writer you must have come across many write ups focused on one keyword. The whole information revolves around one thing and repetition of keywords can be seen. Sometimes the whole article is written about, say, ‘glass bowl’. And this article would have word limit of approx 500 words and the word ‘glass bowl’ would get repeated around 10-15 times in this. From reader’s or writer’s perspective, you could reckon how useful this piece of information would be. Actually, such type of write ups are created for search engines only. So that ‘spider’ or search engine bots can read the frequency and rank them high.
Yes, I know, nowadays keywords are being ignored by Google… but still there are many popular search engines used in different countries. And, we are not specifically talking about Google here.
I think this is the high time, we as writers should take the responsibility of delivering useful content to the end user. We must understand the fact, if done properly useful content itself has the caliber to get ranked high and make more money and that too in a legit way. There is no point of creating content that gives you quick money but for shorter duration. If you provide valuable information to the user, he would come back to you again and again in search of good content. This helps you building credibility and and hence money, in long run.
However, it is also important to follow search engines’ guidelines to make things readable by ‘spiders’.
Here is the first thing that I got to learn if search google for content writing tips.
Here I am compiling a shortlist of things to make your information useful for search engine bots and for humans as well.
- You should be very clear about what you are writing. Do not give lame statements that confuse the reader to make up his mind. Keep one thing in mind, you reader has come to you get a crystal clear information. So, give him what he wants.
- We all know you are very good writer and have huge vocabulary. So, do not show it off. Do not write language for which reader have to refer dictionary again and again. Keep it simple and informative.
- Punctuation marks are very important to conclude the statement. So use them wisely.
- Images play an important role. They break the monotony of the text and are more comprehending than text. Do use them.
- Abolish automated tools to create content. They are waste of time and money.
- Watch out your tone. It is good to be humorous while maintaining the seriousness. Always remember not to use provocative tone while discussing sensitive issues, especially religion, politics, ethnicity, community etc. This may invite hatred.
- Understand the difference between persuasion and imposition.
- If you acknowledge appreciation and then you must be prepared to accept criticism. A critique is your best teacher.
We must understand the fact that our 75% of life is now dependent on information that we get from world wide web. We would be almost doomed if we start disseminating and relying on misleading information. So it has become very important for each one of us to create, promote and support human comprehending writing… before the WWW became pile of garbage content.